In an interview with RealSelf.com at the 2014 ASAPS meeting in San Francisco, Dr. Michael Edwards, president of ASAPS urges everyone considering plastic surgery to “do your homework…find out what the credentials are of the person you’re choosing to take care of you.”
The first step is to find out if your doctor is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, but then, as Dr. Edwards explains, there’s more research that needs to be done.
Dr. Edwards recommends the following in choosing a plastic surgeon for your plastic surgery procedure:
- What is the surgeon’s experience?
- What is his/her emphasis / the procedures they focus on and excel in the most?
- What is the emphasis of the practice as a whole?
- What hospitals are they affiliated with?
- What is their emergency plan of action if, in a rare case, something goes wrong?
- What facility will the surgery be performed in, and is it credentialed & accredited?
Again a “flowery certificate” on the wall doesn’t make a good plastic surgeon. Experience, reputation and board certification with the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery will help ensure good results and a safe surgery.